Friday, September 26, 2008

Shhh.. Baby Sleeping

Jaxon slept through the night!

It took 4 months, 3 weeks and 5 days but he (we?) did it. Of course, I'll probably get the mommy jinx since I've told the whole world. But now when I get the dreaded question "Is he sleeping through the night?", I can honestly say yes. It seems like the last 5 months I've heard every story of babies that miraculously sleep through the night at 2 weeks old or have heard the pity in folks voices as they give me unsolicited sleep advice. The funny part is that since we started bed-sharing, co-sleeping, family bed.. whatever you call it, neither Jack or I have been particularly concerned about the night wakings (most nights). Those first few weeks, when Jaxon had his nights & days mixed up, were certainly rough! I won't lie. But once I started nursing him in a side-lying position, I was able to sleep pretty well even with him nursing every 2-3 hours all night. We were able to give up any nighttime bottle feedings so neither of us have to actually get out of bed, and Jack usually doesn't even wake up unless I ask him to change a diaper.

Over the last month, his sleep routine has been changing. He slowly was stretching out his nighttime feedings to a 5-6 hour stretch once a night. We moved up his bedtime to 7:30-8PM because he was getting too tired to stay up until his old 9PM bedtime. He was usually waking up around 2-3AM, and then every few hours after that. But last night he went down at 7:30PM and I didn't hear a peep out of him until 5AM!! (And that's even with Jack & I coming to bed at different times plus an accidental 4AM phone call we received). The good thing about the gradual change was that my milk supply was able to adjust slowly as well. Though the extra several hours last night still caused me to wake up sore. So you think he can do it two nights in a row? We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment