Sunday, September 28, 2008

What goes around, comes around

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Everyone knows these three R's these days, but how many of us put this into action? I've been thinking (and reading) a lot about 'being green' lately, which has been sort of a by-product of choosing to cloth diaper Jaxon. It's nearly impossible to research or purchase cloth diapers without being inundated with other green products or propaganda. I've always recycled the basics; plastic, glass, aluminium and newspaper plus use CFL light bulbs. But I know there are so many other ways we can help the environment, our wallets and our lives. Today, two different companies promoting green living caught my eye, one on TV and one on the web. I wanted to share these with you.

This evening while nursing Jaxon, I was flipping through the channels and stopped on Sara Snow's show on FitTV. Though I often find her ideals a little high (I'm sorry I'm not ever going to take a 5 minute shower), I like to see if I can learn something new that is feasible for me. She visited a company called IceStone that makes beautiful durable surfaces (kitchen countertops, bathroom vanities, flooring, etc) out of recycled glass and concrete. It looks similiar to other stone products but is renewable. Besides the recycled content, the products emit no VOCs and are manufactured in a day-lit factory. Plus the company has socially responsible programs such as free ESL classes for employees and advocates for greener practices in the community and industry. I have no idea what this equates to in cost to the consumer but is definitely something I'll consider when we either move to our next home or remodel the current one.

After finally getting Jaxon to sleep tonight (last two nights he's woken up less than an hour after bedtime with screaming unconsolable crying), I noticed something my brother had posted online. Rock/Creek Outfitters is running a promotion this month giving a discount to customers who bring in old T-shirts to be transformed into reusable shopping bags. As an avid shopper (aka woman), this is one of the areas where I have lately been trying to reuse and as a result; reduce. I picked up a reusable shopping bag from Target (they sell ones that fold up into a tiny wallet-size packet for $.99) which I have been using at, of course, Target but also the grocery store, the library, baby consignment sales, and anywhere else I can remember to use it. I was surprised and happy to find another larger reusable shopping bag from StrideRite shoes in my freebie kit from the fertility clinic reunion this month. If you are interested in reusable shopping bags & not in the Chattanooga area, you can find diy patterns online or purchase bags from multiple places (Google 'reusable shopping bag'). Many places sell canvas bags which are fine, but I prefer the ones that you can fold up & fit in my purse or diaper bag. Now you can even get cute ones if you don't like having a store logo plastered all over your bag. Some I want to try: RuMe ($28.50/set of 3), Flip&Tumble ($12ea), Envirosax ($8-24ea), & Baggu ($8). Of course I usually need more than just two bags so I may just have to send some of my favorite old tees down to my brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment