Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Job cut rumors

If you've heard the rumors (here, here and here and here for example) you might be wondering if I'm being affected by IBM's supposed job cut that is coming later this month (possibly this week). At this point, it is still all rumor as IBM is not confirming anything.


I was informed the week I came back to work that I (and the two folks that I have left on my team) are being transferred to another division. I just met with my new manager on Thursday and didn't get much information from him. (He is located in Cali so I won't be meeting him in person anytime soon). But I can't imagine they'd go through the trouble of transferring us just to lay us off so I think that I'm safe.

I'm not sure yet what I think of this transfer, but supposedly we're going to be doing the same work just for another manager. Our initial meeting with our new manager leads me to believe that we'll have less opportunity for career growth (promotions & raises) in the short term but more freedom from paper-pushing & busy work. It's not official until Jan. 29th, so it'll probably take a few months for me to really know the impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment