Monday, August 11, 2008

You're turning violet, Violet!

Flashback from Willy Wonka, anyone?

I've been struggling with thrush on/off (mostly on) throughout most of my breastfeeding experience and getting desperate. I've been trying everything & anything to get rid of it. Today I called my doc and asked them about using gentian violet. I'd read it was effective & had a few people recommend it. They agreed it would be ok to try so Jack, JP & I went off to the drugstore. Who can beat a $2 over-the-counter solution if it works?

After the next feeding, I swabbed up my nipples per instructions. It was bright purple.. even looked kinda like that weird car paint that looks purple one way & green another. Jack was thoroughly disturbed but I could care less if it works. Instructions from my doc said to make sure it was dry before feeding again or pump. My breastfeeding books say to apply to the inside of the baby's mouth once a day to make sure they don't have it either. Dr. Jack Newman says apply it to the baby's mouth & then breastfeed so that it gets applied from the baby to the nipple.

I nursed Jaxon well after the medicine had dried. He latched on with no problem. No concern about taste or appearance for him apparently. But when he was done & pulled away, I could not stop laughing. Jaxon even laughed with me though he was looking at me like I had lost it. I couldn't get a pic with his tongue showing. He looked like a kid after a grape popsicle disaster.

It's really purple and really doesn't come off very easily. We have a date with a photographer on Thursday morning so I quickly decided we need to hold off on this remedy until then. Hopefully he'll be back to pink lips in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment