Friday, October 3, 2008

How do you 'catch' a cold?

I knew better. I really did. I just had to let everyone know that JP was sleeping thru the night (whether real or perceived, the pressure to get him sleeping thru the night was strong & though I tried to ignore it, I was so glad to tell everyone that we'd "finally" hit this milestone).

But the mommy-jinx got me.

The VERY next night, JP woke up suddenly & screaming within less than an hour of going to sleep. This was not his usual fussing, it was painful, face turning red, 'help me' screaming. We tried everything to calm him and nothing was working. No fever, no symptoms other than the screams. We thought maybe it was teething so we gave him some Tylenol and I tried to calm him with nursing. Eventually he fell asleep next to me. I was NOT going to move him like I usually do so he stayed there all night. He still slept most of the night thankfully. The next three nights were very similar though not quite as bad. We tried altering his sleep schedule & moving his reflux meds to night-time but neither seemed to help.

During this time, I'd been dealing with a sore throat myself which finally turned into a bit of a stuffy nose. It has been minor, but we think that's what was bothering him. Last night he sounded awful and could barely breathe. I took on the unenviable task of putting saline drops in his nose. He did not think much of that. It went over better today, so I think it was the combo of it being a new experience and his already worked-up state. Doc & Gigi both had pretty much the same advice - elevate the head of his bed, saline drops, humidifier. Call if it gets worse or if he gets a fever. It's only bothering him at night, and apparently only in that first couple of hours of bedtime, so he'll be fine.

But he's still technically sleeping through the night! Ha...

The timing was probably bad, but we moved him to the crib this week as well. I wouldn't have done it while he was having a rough week, except that he really was getting too big for the bassinet. It wasn't a big deal to him but has been an adjustment for me. He's really not slept in there more than a few hours since he was born. So I'm not used to the little things like remembering to put the siderail down BEFORE I try to gently move the sleeping baby to the bed. Picture shorty me trying to lean over the rail while my feet come off the floor and I'm crushing my ribs with the rail.. all the while trying not to plop the kid down too hard on the mattress - oops woke the baby. Or trying to hold him still in my arms while figuring out yet again how to operate the siderail.. oh yeah, lift first, then kick.. CLANK... oops woke the baby. Of course I hear you.. put him in the crib 'drowsy but awake'.. yea right..

No comments:

Post a Comment